PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Could the RAF resume the nuclear deterrent as a cheaper alternative to Trident?
Old 12th Aug 2015, 12:54
Willard Whyte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So assuming they've managed to be able to mass-produce the trick turbofan that is the key to it and assuming they can access GLONASS or equivalent for targeting they can launch from say 1000km stand-off. Bunch of LR interceptors (back to Tonka F3 and/or F14+AIM54) please and weapons free on the bombers.

More to the point, 2000+km at 400kts gives you the best part of three hours flight time to either intercept the inbounds (not easy@300ft but do-able) and more importantly relocate the leadership (those that you really want to deter).

Deterrence is about certainty, the certainty that you can't stop a significant proportion of what will be coming your way (personally) if you don't behave yourself. For a variety of reasons, a cruise-based deterrent can never give you that at an affordable scale.
My dear chap, nowhere did I suggest that a cruise missile is an effective deterrent. Indeed I don't believe it is, due to its 'interceptibility'.

I was merely replying to the doubt, seemingly expressed, that they could build & field one.

The fact that they can, or is something that they are working towards, is something that should be taken note of. I would be unsurprised if Russias hands aren't fiddling away, moving things along; the fact that such a weapon would pose something of a threat to them is nothing compared with the consternation it would cause to the West.