PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Communicate, Navigate, Aviate and crash...
Old 11th Aug 2015, 11:41
Sir Niall Dementia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bit of Thread Drift........

Back in the late 1990's I was a training captain on a fairly new type of aircraft (very new to my company) I was in the simulator with a new P2 and an experienced P1 doing transition to type. We were through the visual section (5 trips) and onto the IFR stuff, I had repeatedly had to remind them both to use the auto-pilot as much as possible during emergencies, but they still kept trying to do things the old fashioned way.

I gave them a SID off Aberdeen 16, 100' cloud base and 600m viz. just after going IMC I gave them low oil pressure on number 2 then gradually brought up the temperatures to critical level.

They handled the engine shut down perfectly, communicated with ATC (me) excellently and then flew into a mountain five miles west of the airport, because rather than couple up the auto-pilot in heading or NAV they had left it and the aircraft had drifted to the right in heading by 80 degrees, rather than turning left into the SID.

it was a great learning experience, when the sim stopped they were surprised and thought it was a sim problem until I brought up the visuals.......

The P2 recently did an OPC for me on the jet and we had a good laugh about his sim crash (P2 on OPC couldn't believe his ears when he heard some of the stories coming from the jump seat). The P1 is now one of the best training captains I've ever flown with.

Aviate, yes, navigate, yes, communicate, when you've got time.

SND