PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light Aircraft crash at Blackbushe.
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2015, 10:39
Mooneyboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pace

You seem to believe that being an experienced pilot means you are exempt from making poor/wrong in the heat of the moment decisions.

Look at another profession for example F1 Aryton Senna in the 1990 Japanese GP. First corner despite Arytons vast experience and godly driving skills and knowing a grave risk of potential injury to himself, spectators and Prost, he still decided to purposely at high speed crash in to Alain Prost. This was all in order to achieve his goal for that moment to not let Alain get to the 1st corner ahead of him.

In a lot of these runway excursions the same short term moment mentality exists to achieve the goal and touch down on that runway despite them knowing the risks.

If this was the case in the blackbush incident then maybe 200hr cadet in the RHS could have made the difference.

Personally if I see the end of the touchdown zone fast approaching I put the aircraft down not giving a s##t what the pax ( airline not biz jet) think if it bangs on. I will even go and say goodbye to the pax afterwards to make a point mostly to the FO that banging an aircraft in is not a bad thing to do and not to hide away in the flight deck after as there is no shame. If I get a few comments from pax so what, at least I my FO and my safety department no it's the right thing to do.