PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Chipmunks
Thread: RAF Chipmunks
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2015, 02:38
Dora-9

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Now here's an odd one!

Recently I purchased this photo from the NA3T site - it shows very unusual makings for an RAF Chipmunk.

There was no information as to when and where, the aircraft simply being identified as "Duxford Station Flight". With the kind assistance of Rod Brown (UK Chipmunk guru) and Geoff Ambrose (Air Britain's Chipmunk expert) I can now say that WZ870 was indeed with the Duxford Station Flight when photographed at the 1958 Bassingourn Battle of Britain Day. Examination of the background reveals a 2 Sqn Swift FR5 (serial not visible; 2 Sqn had two aircraft that carried an "S" code), an identified Canberra while "619" was a Vautour IIB. Turning back to the Chipmunk, note too that the usually black stencils (seen here on the rudder/fin/fwd fuselage/cowl side) have been re-painted in what appears to be the nose colour.

So what colour was the nose trim? My initial reaction, since it seemed tonally identical to the fuselage band, was that it was yellow. However, research has turned up two spotter's reports on the Chipmunk at Bassingbourn stating that it was "wearing blue training bands" and "..in Cranwell T-bands". I should add that during WZ870's relatively short career (1953 to 1959) it served with various Station Flights (virtually all Fighter Command airfields) and never with the RAFC Cranwell.

So it's back to that colour question - does anyone have any thoughts or information please?