PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Battle of Britain? 40% of young people don't know what it is
Old 11th Aug 2015, 00:25
Archimedes

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by lmgaylard

I think it's easy to find fault with the younger generation but, going on what the students said it's probably more the fault of the teachers and lecturers.
And it might not be their fault, at least not from the current generation - any teacher under the age of 45 may have only hazy memories of the war. Any teacher under the age of 40 will probably not remember it. Any teacher under the age of 32 (and probably 33) will not have been alive when the war took place...

In the grand scheme of school curricula, it is entirely possible that the current generation of teachers and lecturers had no idea about the war simply because no-one had told them (because it was not required in their courses at school or University/training college) and their knowledge is limited, or they are not required to pass on their knowledge through any of the lessons they teach...

And there are more than a few serving RN and RAF officers of my acquaintance who are too young to have any memory of the conflict, were not taught it at school and who are very keen to learn more about it when they get the chance.

I think Danny has it in post #58 - the constant ebb and flow of curriculum requirements and aiming for good league table positions means that breadth and depth of knowledge obtained is often - not always, but often - sacrificed for command of a relatively narrow range of subjects.