PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Battle of Britain? 40% of young people don't know what it is
Old 10th Aug 2015, 23:31
lmgaylard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the Falklands War?

A few weeks ago I was invited to give a small presentation to some students at my local college showing and explaining about some of the A2A photos I've taken with various military squadrons.

Going through each photo I gave a simple explanation about each photo and the aircraft depicted.
About 7 or 8 photos in was a photo of a Sea Harrier. I explained that they were based just down the road at Yeovilton and that they were instrumental to the Falklands War back in 1982. At this point a student raised his hand and said ' what's the Falklands War?'.
Trying not to seem too shocked that none of them appeared to know, I gave a brief 10 minute or so explanation.

After the presentation several of the students asked questions and I've now been invited back to give a talk about the war 'Down South'.

I think it's easy to find fault with the younger generation but, going on what the students said it's probably more the fault of the teachers and lecturers.