PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forced Landings Without Power
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2015, 22:41
IdiotPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most simply important - always FLY the aircraft first. Worry about communications and systems next.

The first thing I would do is establish best glide and look for a spot to land, and I like to advocate circling the landing area instead of flying out and around to make a "pattern" (too risky, you want to land -here- so why the heck would you fly way over -there-)

Of course in some instances it is okay to stretch a tiny bit if you're wicked high/fast, but I wouldn't really teach that right off the bat, it is easier to add flaps, and or slip, then to stretch a glide.

A lot of students and even seasoned pilots have a habit of looking in front of them to pick a landing zone, while forgetting that some of the best zones may be behind you! Look everywhere. Not just at the pretty green field that's about the size of a baseball field.

Upon the forced landing, I stress that no matter what the circumstance, the surface is the height of the rough stuff (i.e. trees, crops, really high snaggy grass, etc). There's a good chance you're not landing on airstrip quality turf.

But once again, the most important thing you can do is relax (as best as you can) and FLY the aircraft.