PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRISTOL - 4
Thread: BRISTOL - 4
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2015, 19:39
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wizz Air

Fine thank you, speedbird, and you I hope.

Ryanair currently flies to Warsaw Modlin, Poznan, Wroclaw, Rzeszow, Gdansk, Budapest and Kaunas in the old 'Eastern Bloc' (Modlin and Budapest at 3 x weekly, the remainder 2 x weekly).

You will know better than me , I'm sure, that all the Ryanair BRS 'Eastern Bloc' routes enjoy monthly load factors in excess of 90%, often in the high 90s%, at least in the summer. Winter can be slightly less and not all the routes operate then.

But then so did Katowice and Bratislava but Ryanair axed these, presumably because the yield was not to their liking.

The only other former Eastern Bloc routes from BRS are easyJet's Krakow, Prague (both mainly 4 x weekly) and Berlin Schoenhof (mainly 6 x weekly).

I really wonder whether any of the above routes would stand competition. I'd like to see Wizz tackle some routes not currently flown. It would be a shame to have two airlines competing on a route that satisfied neither with the result that both pulled out.

Looking at the Wizz bases Riga stands out in terms of evidence of a market. Ryanair used to operate it with summer monthly load factors over 90% but pulled out in early 2012. Wizz took on Katowice after Ryanair decided it was not for them (and quickly added a third weekly rotation) so maybe Wizz would look at Riga.

Capital cities not served from BRS but sites of Wizz bases are Belgrade and Bucharest. If Sofia shows promise with bookings perhaps we might see one or both of these.

I suspect the airport would be pleased to have some more non-based aircraft operating in to spread the load. There can be nearly 30 departures before 0800 in summer.