PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hard Landings: are they useful?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2003, 20:08
FlightDetent

Only half a speed-brake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Letting FO hit the ground crispier than (s)he intended is definitely not a lesson learned THE hard way. That comes when CM1 or training captain to any pilot intervene on landing. This way the trainee never gets the idea which was the response of the airplane, which was the response from PF's inputs nor which was the PNF's "help". No matter how thorough the de-briefing would be.

I do only have 21 landings under line trainng on 737 but I am sure that underlines my point.

LOVECHILD, yours shall be craved to stone.

The last lainding I made was ultimately the greasiest of them all, scored only 1.11 g which is actually about half of what we get on short final over the highway or when the nosewheel hits the centerline lights (yes, the sensor is located somewhat closer to the sharp end).
And although perfectly safe, with autobrakes set to 1 there was no turn-off braking needed and about 900 m still remained, it simply was not a good landing. I managed to waste about 300 m on the flare compensating too late for the lighweight loading (20pax + 2t RSV fuel on -500) and the gentle downslope, touched down with tiny right bank, almost two body lenghts right of the ceterline with crossed controls under what was no relevant XWC at all (3kts). I was stunned how tricky the handling in ground effect can get at Vref 114kt. Thanks almighty, there was no crabbing, otherwise you probably couldn't screw up much more. Still, at 50', we were precisely where were supposed to.

That was a good lesson to learn. Had the captain at 30' held the control column down for two seconds and then said "Idle now!", it would have been a good and neat landing but close to zero instruction. I am very glad it was the other way 'round.