PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trouble understanding N2 limitations and control of N2 during flight 250-c20
Old 9th Aug 2015, 16:18
somanyquestions

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble understanding N2 limitations and control of N2 during flight 250-c20

A bit embarassed to be asking this question, but I can't seem to find good answers elsewhere. And I'm trying to avoid tearing up equipment.

I'm having an issue understanding exactly what the N2 limitation is for the 250-c20b is. I've looked at a few different manuals from helicopters with the same engine and they all say something slightly different.

The Jetranger manual says:

Power on:
Max: 100%
Min: 97%

An army manual for the OH58 says:

Max: 100% and 110% for 15 seconds during autorotation. I'm assuming they mean practice autorotation, but how is that even going to happen as you roll the throttle off?

I am flying an OH58 in illinois.

The issue I am having is that for the ag (spraying) work I am doing I am required to fly the helicopter rather aggressively. If I set the governor just below the red line, every time I pull out of a field and let some power out, the N2 takes off and climbs past redline, if it set the governor at the bottom of the green, it does a little better, but on windy days the n2 still climbs past red line when pulling out of a field, but now the N2 will droop well below green (NR still in green) when raising the collective and asking for more power during the dive back into the field.

I have also tried letting out my power about 3/4 of the way through the field and slowing down, helps a little, but not much, and I've also tried not touching the collective at all, and flying a little slower so that I don't need to reduce pitch at all while turning. This is also a little better, but the N2 will still go past red during the climb out of the field.

I am being as ginger as I can with the old girl and I still can't seem to keep the N2 stable. Unless I'm just thinking about this too hard. I've watched others doing the same job or similar jobs like hauling xmas trees and you can hear the engine doing the same thing I am describing.

Maybe I just don't understand the limitation correctly and what I am describing is acceptable because you are letting power out and not trying to drive the rotor system above 100%? I thought at first maybe the governor is just slow to adapt but we have 5 aircraft and they all behave about the same.