PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help settle an argument about DA/MDA
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2015, 10:43
Pete O'Tewbe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I refer you to the PANSOPS definitions of DA/DH and MDA/MDH above.

There is nothing in the definition of DA that prevents descent below DA if the required visual references have not been acquired provided the MAP has been initiated at (or above) DA.

In contrast, however, one may not descend below MDA if the required visual references have not been acquired.

As I understand it, the figures in brackets are for those that fly the approach on QFE rather than QNH - we do both depending on whether it is a civil or military airfield.
I agree.

our guys go to Bond for training and they say that is the way it is done on a civil IR - not allowed below DA on the go around plus 50' minus 0 so I don't know if they have got that wrong.
There may be some confusion here. The -0ft +50ft window is the tolerance for the initiation of the MAP for the purpose of testing and checking. I want to see the candidate initiating the MAP (assuming he is not visual) at or between DA and DA +50 ft. Provided he has done that, I am content for him to descend below DA. Initiation of the MAP below DA or above DA +50 ft is, however, a fail item.

Paragraph 11 to Appendix 7 to Annex 1 to Commission Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011 refers as does the FE Handbook and Standards Documents 1(H), 14(H) and 24(H).