PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus patents Mach 4.5 plane
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2015, 05:16
pattern_is_full

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Nevermind the sonic boom... Would two turbojets pass the airport noise restrictions? And would turbojets this small even get this thing off the ground
Taking your points in reverse order - proposed takeoff (per the patent) is with both turbojet and rocket power. But that obviously makes your first point more relevant - what kind of noise does two turbojets PLUS a high-thrust rocket make? Probably not Space-Shuttle volume - but could be similar.

Probably depends on the weight that has to be moved. This thing has a payload estimate of just 2-3 tonnes (20 pax), but a BIG tank of slurried H2.

Some other tech points that have been missed:

1) Emissions - everything is H2/O2-powered, so zero carbon or sulphur emissions. Just water, and some loose H2 (which is what 99.99999% of the universe is made of anyway.) Nitrides or ammonia - probably some from the turbojets when burning hydrogen with atmosphere (a non-chemist's guess), but that is only in the subsonic phases. On-board electric is either batteries or H2O2 fuel cells.

2) At Mach 4.5 horizontal cruise, the shock cone is twice as narrow (11-15°) as with, say, Concorde (30°). So it doesn't sweep the ground until twice as far away (even without the doubling of cruise altitude). If it's quieter than, say, the shunting of railroad freight cars I hear all the time (from 2 miles away they still sound like explosions in a boiler-factory), and which are apparently legal, and far more common....?

Economics? Hey, the 1% of the 1% probably doesn't care if it costs $200,000. The real question is how often, in the era of smartphones and skype and such, they really need to make a transglobal round-trip in one day (and how comfortable they are on rollercoasters!)?

I won't get into the patent "politics" - except to say I don't disagree with most of what already has been said.