PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DAL1889 Diverts, Hail Damage
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2015, 03:07
pattern_is_full

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Is that a hailstone actually embedded in the dent in the crunched radome? I can't think of any part of the radar kit that normally looks like a rock.

They do (very rarely) get that big in our Great Plains supercells. Largest actually documented (so far) was about 8"/200mm, even after some melting before recovery.

NOAA - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - Monitoring & Understanding Our Changing Planet

As someone who lives in Denver, I can attest that it is quite common in this area to get hail well outside the anvil of one of these beasts - even to the extent that the hail "curtains" are lit up by the westering sun and produce "hailbows."

http://myzone.saferetirementst.netdn...302.jpg?135282

Now, that's at ground level - I have no idea what the updrafts can spit out, and how far, at cruise level.

Just flew into Denver today (as pax) and we were dodging supercells that towered above us even at FL360.

As to the apparent disparity in damage - well, glass is glass, and I'm betting most of the paint removal on the radome was simply the thin aerodynamic shell flexing under the impacts and popping the paint loose.