PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - L and M.
Thread: L and M.
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2015, 21:36
Hangarshuffle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
L and M.

Alastair Cook today, in fact for several years. Truly a man who has experienced the highs and the very lows of L and M.
I love Cook and his manner, and his quiet, gentle and almost self effacing way. Outstanding man who has borne the twin imposters with real dignity.
I'm truly glad tonight the Australians have had the Ashes well and truly shoved up their Aussie arses. Although generally I like the nation themselves.

Best military leader and manager you had? Were they like Cook? (I recall that none of mine were and now wonder why?).
Cook almost seems the opposite(at times) of what one expects and demands as a leader.
And yet he is tremendously successful at this so highly pressurized, media scrutinized level. One of the best, ever.
It got me thinking.
Far too many British military leaders are not like Cook, at all.

One of the worst Captains I ever worked for....looked the part, and talked the talk. But in reality he was at times arrogant, rude, bullying and frankly, comparably dim. He got my back up from the start and it was a bad start. No way back after that.

Should the military look outside hundreds of years of convention... and accept leaders that need not always fit a stereotypical image?

* Sqn Ldr Bader shoots me down straight away for being unconventional, but you know what I mean.