PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career advice please!
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2015, 18:36
Mostly Harmless

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Chadflies,

It's a big country and the needs and wants of the employers vary greatly between regions.

In all my years, I have asked a lot of people how they arrived where they are and no two people have taken the same path successfully... so my advice is going to be very, very general.

Contacts are everything in this industry. Meeting and knowing the right people cannot be emphasised enough. I've found a personal relationship outweighs a logbook every-time. Even at the airlines. Look at Air Canada. for the longest of times if you weren't related to someone who worked there, you didn't get in.

How do you make contacts? Usually by working with them. While it's always good to have ambition, don't always be looking for that next job. You might forget to stop and enjoy the one you have today. It sounds almost silly but, if you don't enjoy where you are, you won't be an enjoyable person to be with. It will show to your co-workers and your students.. and who knows which of them might be the magical connection that gets you to the dream job. I'm just trying to say, enjoy where you are today. The attitude will shine through and help you with where you want to be tomorrow. It will also prevent you from getting bitter and twisted.

Sorry there is no magical formula, and if someone tries to sell you one, don't buy it. Your path will be your own and it will be unique. People are the real secret, not numbers on a page.

Best of luck.