PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Could the RAF resume the nuclear deterrent as a cheaper alternative to Trident?
Old 8th Aug 2015, 16:25
Courtney Mil

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Mike Rondot, it wasn't me that said they would want a two-seat jet, my remarks about two-seat Typhoon was a reply. I would see the single seat Jag replacement doing it just fine. Jag did it just fine, so why not? Yep! With you there.

Jimlad, I have no idea, I haven't done a full appraisal or a costing exercise. Nor could I. I was neither supporting nor dismissing the idea, simply remarking that the savings could be redistributed and I happen to THINK that there would still be a lot of change left over. As an afterthought, it might also solve the problem of where to put the bombs after the UK is kicked out of Scotland.

Fareastdriver, not sure who the "you" is in your post, but whomsoever that is will have the same problem no matter what the future deterrent might be.

Nutty, indeed it does, although there a big difference between the results of an actual nuclear bang and a conventional explosion in the middle of a big pile nuclear material. I was going to make the point earlier that having a couple of tactical nukes in the middle of your big cities is probably enough and maybe you don't need the full apocalypse device to make your point.