PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USA PPL costs - looking for a no-frills school
Old 8th Aug 2015, 13:14
topperdoggle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel USA / Canada PPL costs - looking for a no-frills school

Hi all, first post.

Like all of you I guess, it's my dream to obtain a PPL. Here in Israel, it costs on average 75,000 shekels (around $20,000). Like many people, I want to do it in the USA where I understand it's more cost-effective due to competition and lower costs.

This year, the holidays here fall in such a way that there are only 9 working days in the 4.5 weeks between 11th September and 5th October. I smell an opportunity to come to the USA...

I have a couple of American friends who are jet pilots, they are enthusiastic for me to learn, and they put me in touch with a school just outside Los Angeles, CA. I spoke to the school, they sound very sleek and professional, but I think the prices are high, so I guess I'm going to have to look elsewhere. It's probably more a school for someone who can pay a premium. I'm the type of person who's a self-learner, and I don't need to be wrapped in cotton wool or spoonfed, but of course I need the support. Like every other chump I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous, I am scientifically-minded, and I aim to complete the PPL within 45 hours...

The estimate was based on 55 hours:

Aircraft Rental, 172SP $160 52.5 hours = $8,400
Redbird LD Simulator $400/mo Unlimited
Dual Flight Instruction $75 42.5 hours = $3,188
Ground Instruction $75 20.0 = $1,500
Chief Flight Instructor $85 5 hours = $425
Sub-Total Variable Costs: $14,313

Cessna Ground Instruction Kit $350
Pilot's Supplies; charts, etc. $200
Aviation Medical $150
Private Pilot Written Exam $150
Private Pilot Checkride Fee $600
Sub-total Fixed Costs: $1,450

Estimated Total Cost - 55 hours to completion $15,763

Finally, some questions:
1) Is the estimate on the high side as I suspect?
2) If so, what would be regarded as more realistic / down-to-earth prices, in terms of hourly rates, given that I'm not looking (or able) to pay top dollar to be pampered / go to a "premium" school.
3) Most things above are musts, but is there anything there I don't need or that is over-provisioned, not in the hourly rates, but in the number of hours? I would aim to start the course largely prepared for the ground exams, and I believe that the minimum number of hours with an instructor is 20 (not saying I won't need more but still...).
4) Can anyone recommend a school in the USA that fits this bill? Down-to-earth, no-frills, but safe, expert, professional, friendly tuition? (If it's located in an area with a good nightlife, that's a bonus... )

Thanks in advance for your input, hope to participate more here in the future!

Last edited by topperdoggle; 9th Aug 2015 at 22:01. Reason: Add Canada