PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RHC rotor blades: ADs and SDRs
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2015, 12:36
blakmax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RHC rotor blades: ADs and SDRs

OK, I tried a comment on a thread about someone complaining about the cost issues with the AD and the time in service for his R44 blades and RHC deadlines for discounts. One reply. Thanks hermunculus.

I thought the comments may have been buried in an obscure posting which everyone ignored as an operator whinging about costs (which he has every right to do) but I am more concerned about the implications of reports of short term life bonding issues for a mandated replacement item, so I started a new thread in the hope of raising the issue on an airworthiness basis rather than a cost basis.

Upfront I want to draw people's attention to this link 4 March ? 20 May 2015 | Flight Safety Australia

Robinson R44 main rotor blades—main rotor blade debonded. SDR 510020934
While carrying out CASA AD/R44/25 Amdt 1, it was decided to remove both tip caps from the blades. Small blister found on the underside of the band line on one blade. After removal of corrosion it was obvious debonding had occurred. On other blade, fretting line on the trailing edge of the weight cap was found. P/No: C0167. TSN: 104 hours.
My understanding is that this part number indicates that the NEW blades as specified by the AD are already exhibiting disbonds after only 104 hours service? Is my assessment correct?

Happy to accept contrary information, but if true the implications are substantial.

Regards

Blakmax