PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light Aircraft crash at Blackbushe.
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2015, 10:46
A310bcal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pace
This pilot approached way over his VREF speed even landing on the numbers he would have been hard pushed to have stopped in just over 1000 meters.
He touched down 400 meters from the end of the runway.

We do not know what was running through his mind at the time? He should have thrown away the approach when he realised that the aircraft was not stable especially on such a length limited runway.

to continue and touch down with only 400 meters left was a suicide action and I don't mean suicide in a literal term.

This was an experienced Captain who had landed there many times so why is completely baffling.

Only the ATC recordings will give an indication of his state of mind whether he was relaxed and lucid in his radio calls or stressed out and desperate or whether someone else was at the controls?

On the face of it this would look like an inexperienced PAX attempting to land rather than a 10000 hour Captain.

it is possible that there could have been some medical issue like a stroke which would have effected his normal thinking pattern or as stated earlier brain Lock due to stress.

I doubt the need to pee. I used to fly a Seneca five twin and its owner UK to Malaga we refuelled at St Sebastian but the temperature was very hot at 44 deg C and going into S Sebastian I felt ill. landing I informed the owner that I was not well enough to continue.

He recognised dehydration and got me to drink loads of water. This was miraculous as my recovery was almost instant.

i continued drinking water and we took off for the last leg to Malaga with the result that I was bursting for a pee.

You can get desperate and I though of everything from dangling it out of the pilot side window to wetting my pants but luckily we found an empty oil bottle in the back.

I doubt a need to pee caused this there was a fully accessible and functional toilet in this aircraft and even single pilot he would not have been away from the controls or ATC communication for more than a couple of minutes in the cruise! I am pretty sure as a single pilot he would have left the controls previously when nature called.

Something must have happened to effect his normal mental process and judgement? I don't think it was a need for a pee! you would wet yourself rather than kill yourself

Pace
I agree 100% with your last sentence above , Pace.

I offered my suggestion as just that....taking into account the position of the Pilot and his relationship to the passengers. Your experience was with someone you knew quite well and could talk to as a "mate" and possibly someone who could understand your situation. Would two ladies and one gentleman of foreign birth ( VIP's ) have quite the same understanding I wonder ? How would they view the pilot revealing all whilst he pee'd into a bottle or perhaps the situation was more along the lines of "upset stomach"

Enough of my guessing, but for whatever reason , IMHO, that pilot was desperate to get that plane on the ground as quickly as possible. Someone else at the controls? I doubt very much that any competent Captain would allow someone else to do that with his pride and joy. A tragic ending for all concerned.