PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light Aircraft crash at Blackbushe.
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2015, 09:34
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ask this as an open question with neutral opinion. I've had an ATC called 'go-round' due to a light a/c/vehicle crossing the runway well beyond my expected stopping point; but ATC don't know where that is. The runway was deemed to be not empty so they instructed G/A. If I'd had an emergency problem it would have been my call to land as I was visual.
In the instance, with ATC watching the disaster unfold in slow motion, what would you have done sitting in the tower?

1. "XYZ you seem very high and fast I strongly suggest you Go around."
2. "XYZ Go around I say again Go around."
3. Say nothing with hand on the crash button.

I do not know the full extent of ATC authority in such scenarios, nor the level of ATC at Biggin Hill. Is it control or advisory? Either way.....
Does ATC have a duty of care to the airfield and its environment? i.e. if they can see and perceive that some muppet is most likely to damage their territory and cause damage to person or property can they intervene to prevent such damage?

Open question about authority, responsibility and duty of care. Even with out these who of us in the street would not shout "STOP" or "Watch out" if some dreamer was stepping out in front of traffic.