PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career advice please!
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2015, 07:21
skyship007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

You will be able to clock up the P1 hrs part of the ATPL requirement as an instructor, so what I did was to get a Multi QFI rating and the hrs required to do that would be worth paying for. Also make sure you get the ATPL writtens done some time and it also looks good if you can get to instruct for a school with a good reputation.

If you want to work overseas, think about getting an FAA ATP, the written exams are fairly easy if you do a few weeks with an online program (Or buy the big books from Sporties), then the CTP course costs about 5K usd and the actual twin ATP training and test a few grand more (You will need a CAA letter of verification for your CPL/IR/Multi prior to the ATP flight test).

There seems to be more of a need for pilots in the US than the EU at present and that is resulting in more openings for pilots with FAA licenses overseas, some of the big players like United have even removed the "Must hold a US passport or green card" comment from the pilot hiring part of their web sites. Some lesser known airlines have also been paying for the ATP training and type ratings. SO DON'T RUSH INTO SOME SILLY P2F or P2Type scheme!

PS: As far as I can tell the general plan of the US airlines in pilot hiring terms is to stick to home grown until they have to increase the pay rates, then resort to hiring overseas before trying to recruit directly from the flight schools. Unlike the EU airlines they will try and avoid that option.

PPS: Not wishing to hijack this thread, but one question I have is, how do pilots in the EU get multi crew time, as the EASA ATPL requires 500 hrs of multi crew time, whereas the FAA ATP requires 500 hrs of cross country time, as part of the 1500 hrs total, as I never seem to see adverts for twin turboprops in need of a CPL/IR co-pilot ??

Last edited by skyship007; 8th Aug 2015 at 07:47.