PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hotmail sign-in woes
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2015, 05:54
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
I get the same thing whenever I travel to a new location.

I've set my Office 2007 version of Outlook (that's 'real' Outlook, not the 'Outlook' to which M$ has changed Hotmail's name ) with my Hotmail address as one of my e-mail accounts and Outlook checks e-mails every 5 minutes.... Pop-ups start appearing next, indicating send/receive problems.

Hotmail flags these up as 'log in attempts' but sends a message to the other e-mail address I've given them. The message contains a link - when I follow the link it takes me to a site which has recorded my log-in attempts. If any are suspicious, I'm asked to click the relevant tab, otherwise when I leave the site it allows me to use Hotmail as normal.

Rather a clumsy 'security' technique which defeats the whole idea of web-based e-mail such as Hotmail.

Incidentally, do NOT leave any e-mail addresses in any contact list offered by Hotmail as these are often hacked and spammed - and M$ subsequently locks your account. You then have to go through the pain of trying to change your password, which is very far from simple.