PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career advice please!
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2015, 22:57
Chadflies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Career advice please!

Fellow aviators! Thanks for taking the time to read. My current situation is thus:

I work part time / full time in the summers as a flight instructor, I also work another job.. Well call this the "put food on my table job"

Problem is, this situation makes me feel like a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. I'm constantly juggling both jobs to make things work, and while full time instructors are getting 40-50 flying he's a month.. I'm closer to 20-30.. And I'm working way more for it!

Does this make sense? I'm starting to feel not so much..

Instead of spinning like a hamster in my wheel I could chose to buy time.. This is relatively easy for me as overtime is like taking candy from a baby at my other job.. And I draw a respectable wage there where a ten hr overtime shift is more cost effective than flying for three days at the flying club working as an instructor.

Doing it this way, gives me way more quality of life, and shortens my time to get to the next step at the expense of money. They say time is money.. In this case I value my time more.. The longer I take to move to the next level, the longer it will take to get to my ultimate goal.

Questions are .. Will this be a bad move? Is this going to a waisted exercise when I apply to my next employer and they see I paid to build some of my pic time? If it's of no consequence.. What time should I set on building? single PIC? Multi PIC? My ultimate goal is to break into the airline or corporate flying world.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated!

Cheers,

Chad

TT 650 PIC 335