PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light Aircraft crash at Blackbushe.
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2015, 16:23
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree. Salesman pay a role in this, I know that for sure as I had secured a job on a CJ many years ago and the sales dude talked the would be owner out of having a copilot AND Simtraining, as the airplane was so easy to operate. Needless to say, when I turned down the job on these grounds the owner then employed 2 pilots - but I was already off to other pastures...
But this bit may be relevant to this crash. The problem with high speed jets is that when things go wrong they go wrong faster resulting in a much higher workload for the single pilot.

you may just have a sandbag in the right seat but at least that sandbag can take over certain functions lowering the workload.

This guy climbed to avoid other slow traffic and then descended at initially 3000 fpm and even close in was still descending at 2500 fpm trying to get on the glide.
result under that workload is that he arrived over the threshold into a short field at 135 KTS way over the VREF of 108.

At Blackbushe even if he had hit the numbers at 135 KTS he would have been hard pushed to stop in just the 1000 meters available.

2/3s down the runway with 400 meters available he had more chance of flying to the moon in the 300 than stopping.

He must have known that? So we can only summarise that the guy lost the plot and was overloaded!

I have in my twin piston days seen pilots go into brain freeze! One I was right seat to on a second missed approach in bad weather and my command to go around went blank pulled the nose up and did nothing. i had to take control from the right hitting power and lifting the gear and flaps as well as lowering the nose as the aircraft was fast approaching the stall
His only input was to raise the nose with a blank frozen expression

So I still wonder with two crew whether this accident would have happened?

Pace