PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flaperon washes up on Reunion Island
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2015, 16:13
tipo158

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, someone please explain this article which just appeared. How would the discovery of the flaperon validate a beacon from one of the black boxes? I am sure that either Boeing and/or Malaysia Air would have know the make and model of both black boxes prior to this weeks discovery. And if by some crazy point this article is accurate, does that mean the search goes back to where these signals were first heard????
Shameless local boosterism, I suspect.
There is definitely shameless local boosterism in that article, but I believe that the basis of the claim has something to do with the (suspected) black box pings that were heard in April '14. These were heard in the sea off of NW Australia. Some of the analysis of current and wind patterns have indicated that the flaperon would have gone in the water off NW Australia in order to end up at Reunion.

The maps that I found show the area around the northern of the two pings was searched and larger areas to the west were searched, but I have not seen any maps showing that the area between the pings, along the 7th satellite ping ring, has been searched. Does anyone here know if it has?

Last edited by tipo158; 8th Aug 2015 at 18:37.