PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spitfire bent at Biggin.
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2015, 13:49
LOMCEVAK

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
JF,

Very valid extra points, thanks. In the Tucano I always select mid flap as soon as I commence the manoeuvre so that the stick shaker is active and I then have tactile stall warning. And experience and practise are fundamental as you say.

I am fairly sure that, just like practise asymmetric flying in the Canberra, there have been far more accidents caused by practising turnbacks than there have been real EFATOs with a successful outcome as a result of mitigation by practise. It is all a judgement call based on overall experience, experience on type, recency and aircraft type characteristics. Personally, I do not practise turnbacks in aircraft such as the Spitfire because big piston engines do not like sudden power reductions from take-off power to idle, and with the big radials you cannot do that without causing serious damage to the engine due to underboosting. However, I have been very fortunate in having the opportunity over many years to practise (and teach) turnbacks in the Tucano that, I hope, will stand me in good stead if, God forbid, I have a real EFATO in one of the warbird types.

And I will re-iterate that a controlled turn as soon as feasible after take-off such that you can see the airfield and are reducing the rate at which you are travelling away from the airfield will, if the engine then fails, significantly improve your chances on carrying out a successful forced landing on the airfield if you have the energy to do so.

If I am flying an airtest with an unproven powerplant I (and most other warbird pilots that I know) always plan to fly a climbing turn back through the overhead and perhaps fly an orbit overhead before continuing away from the airfield - just in case!