PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices’ Western Australian ADS-B Mandate
Old 7th Aug 2015, 11:15
NOtimTAMs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why can't controllers actually " control " aircraft in IMC at places like Ballina
Let's see: Radar coverage at Ballina is patchy and despite getting down to under 1000' AGL in some parts of the circuit, it reliably gets down to only 5000' for the "terminal area" around Ballina (have a read of this: https://www.casa.gov.au/sites/g/file...lina_byron.pdf . For instrument approaches, the LSA from the northwest west is 5000' and lower elsewhere. So how are they going to help you, Dick? The radar won't help and procedurally it'll be one in, one out - pretty much just the same as if you actually talked to the very very very occasional aircraft that might arrive within the same timeframe as you in IMC and then mutually arranged that one of you would hold (either at a designated hold, waypoint or distance/bearing) until the other lands, goes missed or is happy to continue visual. And you'd still have to be aware of any aircraft operating visually within the circuit area below the cloud base, aircraft that ATC would not be aware of.....

Of course, if everyone had ADSB OUT and IN..... (but I digress).

Mutual self-separation works fine in low traffic IFR environments in IMC. In your original whinge on another thread about operating into Ballina and having to self-separate, you had the luxury of a very experienced pilot in the right seat of your private jet - should have been a piece of cake for you, if I can do it single pilot IFR. If you can't manage it under those conditions, then I would suggest that it is not Ballina in particular or the presence or absence of radar in general to assist you that is the hazard......