PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Korean Air coming to DXB September 23-24th
Old 7th Aug 2015, 10:33
CaptainProp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
737 about $9.4K.

I don't work for Korean, neither am I planning to. Having said that, if I had to chose between Korean or any of the Chinese gigs I would go for the Korean commuting option everyday of the week. From what I hear from guys spending time in China, also outside aviation, it's not really viable to stay for any longer periods of time due to pollution, bad quality hotels in mainland China, lack of good quality food in said hotels, constant delays due to issues with military airspace restrictions etc etc. Then add the recruitment process and astronaut medical checks every year....

Living in most places in Europe and the US, making $13-14K per month before tax and having 11 days off at home is actually not such a bad deal for many. The alternative is living in "tax free" Middle East with skyrocketing costs, 40C for months every year and often getting treated like dirt.

Kamelchaser - I don't think it's that far off the "going rate" for commuting contracts outside China. Ethiopian pays $9000 basic pay for their T7 contractors. Can't imagine Asiana paying their guys much more than that either... Who else, outside China, takes on widebody contractors on commuting contracts? Air Atlanta perhaps, how much do they pay?

CP