PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light Aircraft crash at Blackbushe.
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2015, 09:15
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This guy was an experienced Captain who had visited Blackbushe many times

I know with the Jet I fly if its onto a limited runway its on the numbers or go around and on the numbers means making sure the aircraft is ON THE NUMBERS as well as the speed.

What possessed this Captain to approach too fast and to then float and still attempt to land on a limited runway is hard to understand but we do not know the facts

Given the wealth of these people I am flummoxed why they don't operate dual pilot. Indeed in any public service -- which this is given that guests might be clients, etc. -- dual pilot should be the norm. Same with police helicopters (Glasgow?). When I was a kid we always thought that AAIB would find 'pilot error' -- often it wasn't, I'm sure. Today the reliability (not skill, but reliability of the machine that is Man) of the pilot is the weakest link.
Even the Slowtation 550 I fly is mandated 2 crew. With the high cruise speeds and sophistication of the Phenom 300 and CJ4s there surely must be a question mark over the political certification of these fast jets which allow them to be flown single crew?

I also cannot understand owners paying $ 8 million plus for these aircraft with two expensive engines then relying on a 50 plus in years guy single pilot

Tyre marks made by the aircraft at touchdown indicated that it landed approximately 710 m beyond the Runway 25 threshold. Runway 25 has a declared Landing Distance Available (LDA) of 1,059 m; therefore the aircraft touched down approximately 349 m before the end of the declared LDA, 438 m before the end of the paved runway surface.
This is utter madness that this Captain landed 25 KTS above his VREF 2/3 the way down the runway with any hope in his mind of stopping there has to be something else in here ? either pilot unwell or on purpose

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 7th Aug 2015 at 09:37.