PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2015, 13:55
KenV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the fact that you place media criticism of your pet project in the same category as anti-vaxxers and the Mayan Apocalypse says much more about you than it does about the media, BTW.
Interesting opinion, especially considering that:
1. F-35 is nowhere near a "pet project" for me. So the opinion appears based on yet another (false) assumption.
2. I never remotely suggested that anti-vaxxers and the Mayan Apocalypse are "in the same category" as media criticism of the F-35, so yet another (false) assumption.
3. You are expending as much or more time, effort, and electrons attacking me personally than disagreeing with my opinions.

So given 1 & 2 above, and especially #3, may I ask what that "says about you"?

Now, to return to the subject matter at hand,

I asked, Could a LM statement, "three times better at air-to-air", be sensationalized into "three times better in a close-in turning fight"?

To which you replied: Well, no. But actually, nobody has said that, or claimed that LockMart that. What Flynn did say was:

If one were to overlay the energy-maneuverability (E-M) diagrams for the F/A-18, F-16 or Typhoon over the F-35's, "It is better. Comparable or better than every Western fourth-generation fighter out there."

So in reply to the above I make the following comments:
1. "Comparable or better" covers a very large envelope of possibilities.
2. Having "comparable or better" E-M diagrams is not the same as saying that F-35 is either 3 times better or even marginally better in a close-in turning fight.
3. This latest frenzy is about claims made that the F-35 test with an F-16 proves:
a) that the F-35 has "abysmal" maneuverability and
b) that Flynn's claims were all a pack of "lies".

It is my contention that both a) and b) are false because:
1. The test was not designed nor intended to test the F-35's maneuverability, so drawing conclusions about maneuverability based on that test is a non sequitur
2. No one has produced or claims to have compared any E-M diagrams that show the F-35's diagrams are not "comparable or better" than the aircraft Flynn listed.