PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gnat down at CarFest
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2015, 22:01
highcirrus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HarryMann

Has G-Loc been discussed ?
I did bring up the possibility in post No 40 and it was picked up by Wingswinger in his post No 51.

I seem to recall (1966) that pulling +7 g max possible rate turns in the Gnat was unsurprisingly easier than pulling +6 g max possible rate turns in the JP due Gnat swept wing aerodynamics, raked (front) seating, g suit and responsive flight controls that lent themselves to the task and thus made sustained high g manoeuvres more comfortable compared with the JP.

Gnat QFIs I flew with would require of me sustained high g turns, which, age 20 and reasonably fit, I was happy to furnish them with but I did notice that after three or so rapid turn reversals of max possible rate (full thrust, quickly to max g [7] on the buffet, max IAS [360 kts, I think], bank angle approx 140 degrees and going down fast) I could still hold a conversation with the instructor but, meanwhile, had quickly and completely blacked out. A recovery was instantly effected by relaxing the g and applying a little aileron to roll some of the bank off - amount guessed at, as I was unable to see until vision returned - when a muffled instruction usually issued from the rear seat to fly S&L or commence a less bracing pastime.

Whilst never getting to a G-Loc situation during these or other medium level exercises (just black-out), I was damned careful never to pull anything like the same g values at low level, when, I figured, a very quick black-out would equally quickly end in disaster.