PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2015, 16:59
melmothtw

Received 173 Likes on 89 Posts
Well, it seems to me that the press, bloggers, and fanboys (both positive AND negative) get their basic information from the same source. Some sensationalize that information in one direction, and others in another direction. Surely, this cuts both ways. Or am I missing something?
There appear to be two F-35 programmes - one which is briefed by LM and the JPO where everything is on budget and ahead of schedule; and another which you'll find in GAO and POGO reports and the like, where costs are spiraling out of control and the aircraft isn't fit for purpose.

I'd suggest that the tack taken by the particular journalist, blogger, or fanboy in any particular story depends in a large part on where they have got their information from - LM/JPO etc or the GAO/POGO etc. Leaving one to draw the conclusion that is the former that is putting out the information that is leading the stories that might be over-hyping the aircraft's capabilities.

If over-inflating capabilities sells newspapers (or magazines or blogs or whatever) there would be "vested interests" doing exactly that. By the same token, if making sensationalist negative charges sells newspapers (or magazines or blogs or whatever) there would be "vested interests" doing that. Surely, this cuts both ways. Or am I missing something?
I think if this did sell newspapers in the way that you suggest, we'd all be doing it a lot more about other platforms besides the F-35....and we're not.

Anyhow, its 6pm here and I need to grab my supper. Will pick this up another time. All the best....