PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Partial Panel', why not 'NO Panel'
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2015, 14:42
FleetFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can confirm that it is possible in certain circumstances via my own experience. With no panel and no outside references at all, you are definitely screwed if you're not in something spirally stable or unbreakable (such as an Sbach or one or two other unlimited aero types).

After allowing myself to accept a delayed takeoff slot I found myself caught out at dusk with no GPS, a fast setting sun and the surprise of the instrument lighting switch doing absolutely nothing. The landing light switch also got no result. Just to really line up the holes in the Swiss cheese, I had left the torch that normally lives in my flight bag at home along with my mobile phone.

I made a PAN call and got vectors to my home field that started out as '180 degrees' and descended into 'left a bit.. right a bit' as I could no longer make out the compass. It was properly dark by the time I got home and some trucks were sent out to light the field with their headlights. At night in VFR in the South of England there are plenty of ground lights to tell you which way is up, and if you're familiar with your aeroplane then you'll be able to maintain your speed, height(this is the tricky one though) and heading, however when it comes to landing, all these references start to go as you descend and they go beyond the horizon. I made my final turn with no inside references and only one or two pin-pricks of light outside. I simply trimmed full aft to give what I knew would be 70mph and banked the aeroplane and let it turn itself. I then captured the truck lights and then landed, feeling my way onto the almost completely unlit runway with only one truck's lights at the far end to judge attitude and altitude by(The PAPIs were also off). Luckily it was a long runway so I didn't have the pressure of getting it down in a hurry, and it was grass, which was fortunate considering I was flying a taildragger. Had the idea of landing with so little visual information been too much I was prepared to divert to somewhere with lights.

I'm sure there will be many along in a minute to tell me what a clot I was to get into that situation, but I'll be the first to say I learned a lot about flying that day and it still influences my decision making process now.