PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which 'Pilot' watch
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2015, 14:12
L'aviateur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would say that most of the above is absolute tosh; the only watch you should consider for flying is a Breitling.

I couldn't even contemplate going flying without my Breitling, and I must admit that on the one occasion I did make a disastrous oversight and flew with a naked arm, I managed to end up 280nm in the opposite direction of my original destination and performed the most appalling landing you could imagine.

In the subsequent investigation with the AAIB, I later realised that I had spent the entire flight confusing the DI and chronometer with one another. The similarities were uncanny, but had I brought along my trusty watch, I would have quickly realised the serious mistake. The landing can easily be attributed to the fact that my Breitling, through several turns of the various dials (83 different actions to be precise) can calculate the correct glideslope and Vat. Without the critical feature, the result is self explanatory.

Finally, if I had been wearing my watch, I would have noticed when looking down to check the time that my vision was not as sharp as it normally is, and would have worn my prescription spectacles and subsequently would have identified the correct aircraft at my field of departure, rather then having to call the CFI and explain how he would need a truck to collect what remained of his beloved personal Piper Cub (which I now understand I'm only the second person fortunate to have ever flown it).

If you need any further information on this watch, please do not hesitate to ask.