PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gnat down at CarFest
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2015, 08:18
Unusual Attitude

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to confess I tend to lurk and don't post much any more however I have taken an interest in this one as its rather close to home for a variety of reasons which I wont go into.

I've personally avoided speculating as the only jet I ever qualified on was the JP which is nothing to shout about, as part of the conversion onto type we were of course made aware of high speed stalls and even for civilian flying had to demo a pull to the buffet which makes me find the following statement very odd:

And yet many pilots still do not understand that they can stall a fast jet or other aircraft doing 350 KIAS in a bank but level attitude (or any other configuration) by pure G loading. You have demonstrated that you understand this as do others here.
I would expect anyone tasked with actually fighting an aircraft to have a very thorough understanding of aerodynamics, AoA limitations and the results of exceeding them regardless of the speed at the time, indeed this is another part covered in the DA process.

As for the media, I've personally had quite a bit of exposure to them over the last 12 months having been described as everything from "Local Top Gun", "Lewis Hamilton of the skies", neither of which I am, and my aircraft referred to as a "Jet" multiple times despite having a ruddy great spinning thing on the front.

Alas Journo's nowadays are more interested in selling papers than being factually correct and the latter is often disregarded in favour of the former. Please therefore take any references to "RAF Ace" etc with a pinch of salt, having met Kev a few times however and knowing of his background outside of flying I've no doubt that had he put his mind to it he would have become all of the things the media described him as.

Regards

UA