PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Better access to Class D airspace
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2003, 06:22
Flyin'Dutch'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Bluskis,

I think matters have already improved quite considerably,

Can not argue with the squashed in a small area arguement as that is just what it is.

However have come to the conclusion that alternative and seemingly longer routings are usually the better bet and in real terms make very little difference to time flown on a particular sector.

As I am always a bit slow in the uptake and at times have known to be argumentative (so I have been told) it did once cost me a bottle of wine. Have a look and plan some alternative routes. You will be amazed by the minute difference on any decent size tour.

For example. Flew in a Cirrus to Holland the other week. Planned to go direct EGBT BPK LAM DVR etc rather than EGBT BNN LAM.

Helpful controller said yup can expect clearance so proceed to just West of M1. In a hold there for 4 orbits then just Norf of the field for another 3 and by the time I could cross after all the approaching traffic had landed got cleared must have 'lost' 20 mins. No problem with ATCer as very helpful and I got what I asked, unfortunately very busy.

I had not done my homework properly and looked at the time gained.

Have a guess!

Total trip duration 1hr 37

Time difference: 10 mins? 5 mins? 1 min? 47 seconds?

Yup you guessed it wrong!

It is 47 seconds.

Another example and for something may be more typical GA middle of the road.

LFAT to Leicester

RTE LFAT DVR EGS EGBG 1 hour 35 mins

RTE LFAT DCT EGBG 1 hour and 31 mins

All of 4 mins.

Am all in favour of having better services and better access to pieces of airspace when it makes sense, but not just for arguments sake.

I would value having access to some lower level airways for XC IMC flying more than just access to bits of class D.

But everyone has their own preferences

FD