PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Converting a bunch of overseas and CAA qualifications
Old 3rd Aug 2015, 15:54
gfunc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Converting a bunch of overseas and CAA qualifications

Hi folks,

I hold a menagerie of UK and Aussie qualifications and (at the moment) I want to (re-)obtain a PPL plus some "fun time" qualification for use on G- reg aircraft, and I'm finding that my flying school aren't really certain of what to do and the CAA haven't answered my questions - I'm wondering if anyone out there has any insight?

So, I hold a old CAA UK lifetime PPL (issued in the last century) and independent of this I've got an Aussie PPL, CPL, instructor rating, night VFR rating, retract, CSU, spinning, aerobatics and tailwheel endorsement. I would like to "reactivate" my UK PPL and keep my beloved aeros and tailwheel qualifications.

After I get my UK medical (a whole other story), the school I'm flying with reckon I have to do the whole PPL skills test. This doesn't seem quite right to me - I'm not that keen to part with 200 quid plus hire costs to demonstrate I can fly a warrior in a big triangle if I don't need to! My thoughts are that perhaps there are two pathways, one dragging my PPL into the 21st century and one transferring my foreign qualifications - I'm seeking to minimise my expenditure on conversion to maximize it on fun things.

With regards to transferring the tailwheel and aeros qualifications, I've haven't got any answer beyond "dunno".

Any help/legal references would be greatly appreciated!

G