PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 3rd Aug 2015, 15:07
Dougie M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARRC

So we quickly found out that Europe couldn't field an army together as long as they spoke different languages. The French and Italians insisted on a bar. The Brits went loopy about alc and weapons but there we were. "How much for a glass of wine my man?" "two euros sir." And how much for a bottle?" "Still two euros sir" "we'll have two bottles then!"
Tableau of L** and I in full combat rig with webbing and helmets sitting at a folding table in a tent in the forest and in the snow with L**' telescopic picnic cups and a bottle of wine each. Several later we had to negotiate the tents guy ropes in the dark back to ours. Was it 24 or 42?
Next day when the German colonel demanded all 60 R.A.F. Hercs to carry his Panzer Grenadiers to the strip (Exercise, exercise, exercise ) he was told by L**. "Look here Hans, you can have just six. Tell him Doug"
"Sorry about that colonel. The strip is only big enough for one a/c to off load so we plan on one here loading, two on route, one on the ground and two on the way back"
"and all your invasion army will be there in 4hours and 15 minutes" Said L**
We were known as the old winos after that.
Our General declared the whole SNAFU an unqualified success at the end. I still bear the mental scars.