PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Deal-breaker differences between AvPlan and OzRunways
Old 2nd Aug 2015, 00:22
Virtually There

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jabawocky
I have both…..

Either can let you down, so for IFR ops we use two iPads with two suites.

Pretty unlikely to ever get let down.

Buying both is still cheeper than the old paper method.
You raise a very good point: when I think of all the money I've spent on ERSAs, AIPs, DAPS, maps and subscriptions - not to mention the huge amount of paper waste every three months - I reckon a backup iPad would be cheaper.

I will always carry paper maps with me - because you never know (even though the plane has a GPS, my phone has a GPS, my iPad has a GPS . . .) - while these days I just print out the relevant charts I need from NAIPS to save paper and money. But it's a shame mobile phones don't count as back-up, as many have 5"-6" screens, which is plenty big enough to read a weather update, aerodrome chart or moving map. I also use my phone for W&B and fuel calculations.

The reason Av-vs-Oz is a difficult choice is because they are both great programs and both do what I need. OzRunways seems to have better marketing, which is why I started using it first, but once I downloaded AvPlan I just found myself using it more and more - hence why I've probably had a few more niggles with it than OzRunways.

It's a bit like iOS-v-Android: I've always been a Mac man because they are rock-solid compared to PCs. But I prefer Android to iOS because it feels more intuitive and is more customisable. However, all Android systems I've used have had bugs whilst all the iPhones I've had have been very stable. Yet I still own an Android phone and put up with the issues for the user experience - go figure!