PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomson recruitment.
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2015, 20:08
busybee123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im a recent newbie to Thomson from a 737 operator based in porta-cabins in the UK and have to say am so glad I made the move. Thomson is in a different league to my previous job. Yeah the PPY50 for max 5 yrs (which just to clarify is 83% of full time pay) is a bit crap along with the 7k training cost deducted in the first 12 months as instalments, but to be honest I'm taking home about the same as I did working previously full time, so will be getting alot more once the 7k is paid off and movement onto full time kicks in. I hear FO's on the 78 are taking home just shy of 5k a month. Not surprising really when your away for a few days at a time on £4 ish per hour and£10 per hour sector pay. Also in such little time lots of us have been able to move onto the 75767 this year.

If you love being away on a beach 3 to 4 times a month then bid for the 78. It might take you about 3ish years to get it on seniority but with lots of retirements coming up and more 78's turning up things are starting to move quickly. If you would rather be home nearly every night and have the pick of lots of bases up and down the country then stay on the 73. Theres lots of overtime every month and it's yours if you want it. Recently got paid 2 day off payments £946 for a flight because it went over midnight. Lots of guys getting an extra 1500 to 2000k extra a month gross in summer doing a bit of overtime. On the 7576 you'll fly about 600-700 hours a year. A bit more on the 73. Not sure about the 78. You get private medical insurance for you and your family, (family with a slight taxation) LOL, death in service, cheap flights and holidays for employee and family. Pension still up in the air but hopefully if a bit doubtful 15% from the company and 3.5% own contribution as per previous years. Rosters have extra BALPA rules built in over and above legal CAA minimum.

Very friendly guys to fly with even the oldies due to retire on £2million pension pots from the Britannia days. 2 sector days with an hour's turnaround. Crew food is fairly average. In a nut shell if you've got +30 years left and favour an airline with more variety rather than the rush for an overnight command then I would say an absolute no brainer, especially if you don't want burn-out doing max hours per year, 4 sectors a day, 5 earlies in a row.

Negatives:
-PPY50 initially & 7k training cost
-Pension most likely to be reduced
-737NG, not the nicest of places to spend a long day out
-Having to wear a hat