PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cloud flying down under?
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2015, 19:31
Corkey McFuz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leadsled.

I think you miss understood my point. I have no argument with your interpretation of VFR whether it be night or day

The following excerpt from Wiki, Yes I know it's not to be considered the be all and end all for correctness.

Quote:
Wikipedia: Night VFR, or night visual flight rules (NVFR), are the rules under which flight primarily by visual reference is done at night.

In many countries, VFR flight at night is not permitted, in which case night flying is by instrument flight rules (IFR) only which, in almost all countries, requires an instrument rating.

Exceptions include New Zealand, Canada, Germany, Finland, France, Belgium, Poland, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
My bolding.

My post was in response to this post: Quote:
OZ has night VFR, not known in the rest of the world.
which to me inferred that Oz was the only place that allowed VFR flight at night. 31st Jul 2015 09:10
27/09

What he's saying is that oz has "Night VFR" or NVFR, which is a whole nother rating/licence/endorsement thing that you must have in order to fly VFR at night. It's based of navigating via navaids & such (correct me where I'm wrong here Aussies)

The rest of the world doesn't have such a separate rating. They can just fly VFR at night if whatever conditions are met.

An example that hit me a number of years ago when briefly in the land of red,- I went to conduct a local survey flight at night probably straying no more than 15 miles from the aerodrome. However because I was a lowly Kiwi with a hundred or so hours at night and no "NVFR" rating I couldn't do the flight VFR so had to file IFR, even though I wasn't going anywhere...

Weird...