PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair SSTR
Thread: Ryanair SSTR
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2015, 10:58
Count of Monte Bisto

Received 306 Likes on 102 Posts
I am not a great fan of Ryanair, and in fact I despise them. However, reading Say Mach Number's post, I can only commend the few wise people on here to listen to his advice. He is clearly on the inside at Ryanair, has excellent knowledge and presents the case very well. Ryanair are fascists, lurking these days as nice furry animals waiting to be petted by the gormless public who actually believe their new PR of being kind to everyone they meet. Nonetheless, I have no doubt their training is excellent and they are there to get you through if they possibly can. They are not a charity, and they know one of their key protections against financial catastrophe is not to have a crash. Therefore, if you are a numpty and cannot fly their aircraft in a 3kt headwind without the danger of a 3.4g landing they are likely to bin you, simply on grounds of self preservation - frankly, I cannot blame them. If, however, you work hard, keep your head down and make every reasonable effort to reach the required standard (which is that you are safe, not a pain in the backside, and will turn up to work on time) then you will find they will do everything in their power to get you through. I cannot find fault with that. I do not think it is true that only Ryanair pilots have a 90% pass rate at Emirates and everyone else has a 50% pass rate, but they are not terrible pilots either. There is no doubt that many Ryanair pilots are now at the best airlines around, along with pilots from the other feeder airlines like easyJet, Transavia, Monarch etc. It is not 1998, and there are not hordes of wonderful airlines waiting to give you a fantastic job, but this industry does offer you some great opportunities to advance if you work hard.

If you are one of those people who just loathe the airline industry and see it as a terrible place to work, then that is absolutely fine - but this website if probably not the best place for you to spend your valuable time. I like being a pilot, have my great frustrations with my employer like everyone else, but overall have a good working life. If you do not want to be a pilot, be a postman, engineer, dentist or financial adviser. If you like flying, then for all its awfulness, Ryanair is a great place to start your career.