PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flaperon washes up on Reunion Island
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2015, 10:44
MrSnuggles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Carthusian

I will agree that you disagree with me there. A "sudden" suicide may take days or weeks of planning, yes, but the act itself will be as quick as possible. Persons driven by a mission can plan things for years but once the suicide bomb goes off, they are gone in fractions of a second. Ref. 9/11
This is obviously not the case here.

Blake777
I hear you. Deliberate ditching to minimise debris field after seven HOURS of agony just doesn't make sense... unless the person trying to ditch the plane had overcome the suicider and was hoping for some kind of rescue.

Anyhow, I read a very interesting article in Swedish about why there are so few parts of the plane and no oil spills. There is a whole simulation done, supporting those who earlier in the thread suggested that fuel exhaustion would be uneven and send the plane in a spin dive.

Link to simulation study: http://www.ams.org/notices/201504/rnoti-p330.pdf

Link to Swedish article: Därför hittas inga vrakdelar från MH370 - NyTeknik

Världen över fortsätter man att leta efter svaret på hur och varför Malaysia Airlines flight 370 kunde försvinna spårlöst. Vid tragedin, som skedde i mars förra året, förlorade 239 personer livet.Matematikern Goong Chen, vid Texas A&M Universitetet i Qatar, leder en tvärvetenskaplig internationell forskargrupp som tagit sig an mysteriet. Med hjälp av en matematisk modell och numeriska simuleringar på en superdator har de studerat fem olika scenarier för vad som händer med en Boeing 777 som störtdyker mot vattenytan. Allt beroende på den vinkel som planet bryter ytan med.
Resultatet visar att MH370 med största sannolikhet träffade vattenytan vertikalt, i 90-graders vinkel i förhållande till vattenytan och med nosen först. Då bryts vingarna och stjärtfenan av och sjunker inom någon minut, utan att de olika delarna någonsin flyter upp till ytan igen. Det skulle i sin tur förklara frånvaron av flygplansdelar eller oljefläckar i de delar av indiska oceanen där planet förmodas har kraschat och där eftersökningarna har skett.
- Det slutgiltiga svaret finns i planets svarta låda, men våra forensiska metoder stöder starkt att MH370 dök med nosen före rakt ner i havet, säger Goong Chen.

This is a bit too long for me to translate on-the-fly but essentially a group led by Mr Goong Chen at the Texas A&M University in Qatar has simulated different scenarios of the airplane entering the water and found that an almost vertical dive would leave a very tiny oil spill/debris area above water.

How this correlates to the flaperon and the barnacles remains to be seen. Someone mentioned earlier in the thread there is a possibility this was a spare part being transported to/from India and somehow lost over sea.

I am very interested in how this pans out.