PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delta 747-400 takes a beating over China
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2015, 04:32
Heli-phile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Communist controllers

I had very similar situation once flying from Berlin to Amsterdam (before the wall came down and Germany unified) Major cell drifting onto our airway and we squeezed around it. I had the East German controller pipeing up, informing me I was drifting into their airspace. This was 1988 (before GPS) and repeated vor/dme cross cuts kept me busy ensuring we were right on the edge of that airway. I kept the conversation going as we picked around the cell using the weather radar. Lots of threats from him, lots of calming dialogue back from me. Eventually I said if we returned to Berlin we could only turn 180 to the right due weather, which would take us way off the edge airway and much deeper into his airspace. I gave him the choice. While he provaricated (or spoke to senior goon) we cleared the cell and realignged with the airway. 20 minutes of unnecessary harrassment due to a communist dogma. I dont envy this Delta crews situation. Maybe squak 7700 and transmit "blind" heading wherever you need to for as short as time as neccessary. Only thing thats ever scared in 35 years flying has been CB related. CB's are a real and certain threat. The results of ignoring ATC are far far less of a threat.

Last edited by Heli-phile; 1st Aug 2015 at 04:38. Reason: typo