PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Fleet Order Speculation
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2015, 01:37
ExtraShot

Received 33 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd say there is about a 0% chance of getting A350's in the near term.
Hmmm, I don't think I'd say 0%.

Your comment does make a lot of sense, however, the A350 rumour is coming from more than one source, more than just Prune, and from more than just QF sources. (even a Travel Newsletter has picked up on it… reliability wise, take that as you will)

I wouldn't see Qantas as needing the A350 for at least 5 years, give or take. So the A350 can be ordered now-ish (just options and purchase rights again, like the current 787 arrangement), and then Qantas can renegotiate terms for the NEXT EA, base on another new aircraft type. The 787 carrot worked extremely well for them this time. They got some significant efficiency improvements into one of their most expensive and complex agreements and we potentially ended up with a bit more of a future, with 82% of us pretty happy with the outcome. Bring ANOTHER A/C type to the next negotiation and you can leave Oldmeadow at home again (more savings!), and have some cordial negotiations for more of the same.

From the Airbus perspective, Unlike the 787, the A350 IS able to pretty much directly replace the 747 in its larger form (1000), and development of the 900 version into an LR form will, for the first time ever, give Qantas SYD/MEL/BNE to LHR direct. I believe it also has a potential for 400 minute ETOPS!!

Airbus would surely love to get in early and head off any potential 777 order by getting QF locked into a future with A350's in various forms (900/900R/1000/1100), to replace the upper end other their fleet with large efficient twin fleet that can do many different jobs in its few potentially different guises. It may also get the remaining A380 orders off of QF's books which by all accounts is a desired outcome…

In any case, the interesting times will continue.