PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forced Landings Without Power
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2015, 01:12
briani

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forced landings without power

I think that the big problem is that once a student has completed training, he/she will not try another practice unless it is required on a check or type conversion flight. Most 'experienced' pilots who I checked or tested had completely forgotten any sort of FLWP procedure. I always emphasised the need for practice - even suggesting that they demonstrated the excercise to their passengers when on local flights. If the failure occured at the usual operating altitude of 2000' to 3000', I taught ; set up glide, trim, turn into wind (this gave them a better idea of the landing direction) and then select a landing area (preferably on the left hand side if possible) and the 1000' area which would be kept in sight. A turn towards that point would then be commenced while checking for cause of failure (to include carb heat and fuel pump (if fitted) on, then vital actions (SIMULATE fuel/electrics off, harness secure, hatches unlatched) engine warms every 800' or so, hopefully, by then, the a/c position would be at the 1000' area for a turn to base leg. A Mayday call would normally follow the vital actions if over hospitable land, but if the failure occurs over sea or mountainous area I taught a prompt Mayday as soon as the engine stopped. If the height on base leg was low turn on to finsl sooner, but if high, a turning away and then back to final could be made to adjust the height. Once the student was prepared to stake his life on clearing any boundary fence or obstacles on the final approach, he could lower flaps to bring the planned touchdown point closer to the threshhold. Also emphasised the importance of back pressure on the controls after touchdown to keep weight off the noswheel in case of rough ground.