PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Un-necessary steep climbouts
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2015, 23:14
27/09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Zenith 601 took off, and with lots of room at this mid sized airport, pulled sharply skyward for reasons not associated with any need to clear an obstacle.
There seems to be a predilection for doing this among those that fly Ultra light aircraft. It's not a good idea on any aircraft except in circumstances that require it. To make it worse these aircraft have no energy and and many are very draggy and any forward motion disappears pretty quickly when the noise up front goes quiet.

I don't know why they do it.

Most planes really cannot safely depart at these extreme angles safely, so why do it if there is no obstacle to clear? Yesterday's pilot got a clear warning, I hope he learned.....
Sadly I fear not.

seems to me that it is satisfying after takeoff to climb out at max power....if you have power to spare! Except they have these daft rules in the Uk of the overhead join! so just when my Supercub 150 is reaching circuit height when halfway along the runway heading, I remember that o dear me, there may be some numptie doing the overhead join and we will meet and make a mess on the runway.
I'm inclined to think the numptie might be in the Super Cub.