PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flaperon washes up on Reunion Island
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2015, 17:17
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by birdspeed
Ian W

What if the autopilot is also disabled. Very likely with O2 bottle fragments flying around the E/E bay causing power interruptions.

Once trimmed for cruise and with bank angle protection(30degs) the 777 will fly on to fuel exhaustion on a random route. As for flying over any waypoints- probably just by chance. Flying an airway- I've haven't seen any accurate centreline radar tracks.

As for exceeding vmo-as trimmed fo cruise with both engines going, once the engines flame out, it'll pitch down exceeding VMO.
A random route that just happens to fly back overflying the captain's home town, the Thailand border then climb back up along the Malacca straights heading North, along the straights then left around the North of Sumatra then turn west then due South and set up a cruise at high level on South.

If you accept the odds of that I have a Kansas City Sea front condo to sell you...

A 777 when both engines are flamed out will fly a phugoid descent - this was ascertained by someone with time on a commercial 777 simulator. So it does not exceed VMO as it pitches up as speed increases then down when it reduces.