PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Transavia (HV5068/TRA3K) emergency landing
Old 31st Jul 2015, 12:59
the_stranger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still say IMHO this is not the way it should have happened. Let F/O be PF so captain can manage the situation and communicate with all parties & agencies, but ultimately the captain should be responsible for the landing, both due weather & especially the non-normal configuration. Otherwise we may as well fly around with SFO's & F/O's. Who needs a captain?
I now fly on an airbus for a couple of years and recently flew with a captain doing his 2nd trip after linetraining, so he had about 6 flights "under his belt".

While I accept he has more experience in aviation, therefor is better to carry ultimate responsibility, do you really think he can handle the plane better?

The only reason there are captains is there needs to be a "boss" to make judgements and decide actions, when there is a difference of opinion. At least in "my" company, FO's (and even SFO's) are selected, trained and used exactly the same as capt's, with the sole difference the last is the deciding factor when there is a difference of opinions.

When I used to be captain on a previous type, I never had "big things" happen, but when the FO would have more experience/handling qualities, I would not have hesitated to let him fly the whole thing.