PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did you ever file an Air-miss?
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2015, 08:01
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chevron, that sounds pretty scary! Its not often you actually can see the other guy's registration, let alone remember it in the freak of the moment!

I was flying in the Interservices Regional Gliding Comp a few years back, and got a bit careless in avoiding a well known parachuting site that had been mentioned in briefing. The rule is, when near a parachuting site, be sure to go around it on the DOWNWIND side, because of course when the meatbombers have unloaded the skydivers, the whole bunch will be descending on the UPWIND side of the airfield.

I suddenly realised that the glider I had been following had gone right through the middle of their zone....I jinked to the downwind side and had no further problems...I thought.

On completing the task and handing in my barograph, I was informed the Director wanted to see me in his office. This is never good news....

It seems the Chief Instructor of the Parachute Club had been FREEFALLING at the time I had meandered into his territory....he maneuvered his chute close enough to READ MY TAIL NUMBER....and on landing, he phoned the Interservices Gliding Director at Hullavingdon. Who gave me a very severe rollicking indeed, and also brought it up in front of the entire congregation next day at briefing. Of course they took all my points away for the day....
but the worst thing was the humiliation.

Better than having the skydiver break your wing, however.